Update on Laws making their way through SC State House
SC Legislative Update
Last week highlights of Chamber legislative priorities include:
• South Carolina COVID-19 Liability Immunity Act S.147 (SUPPORT): Last week, the COVID Liability protection bill began its journey through the House, passing out of the House Judiciary Special Laws Subcommittee with one amendment, which we support. We appreciate the subcommittee members' support (Representatives McCravy, Davis, Elliott, and Wetmore) and House Speaker Jay Lucas.
We are now calling on businesses who support this legislation to sign a letter to the House – calling for them to continue moving this bill as quickly as possible with no further changes. Please sign on and share with other businesses who want to get this bill passed!
• Hate Crimes Bill H.3620 (SUPPORT): The full House Judiciary Committee held a hearing and passed the Hate Crimes bill with amendments. The amendments did the following:
o Adds gender and sexual orientation to protected classes under the bill.
o Removes stalking, harassment, and malicious injury offenses from the crimes included in the bill (limits it to just violent crimes).
o Names the bill the “Clementa C. Pinckney Hate Crimes Act.”
• Abandoned Buildings Tax Credit S.271 (SUPPORT): Has passed the Senate; passed out of the House Ways and Means Committee last week and will head to the House floor.
• SC Workforce Industry Needs Scholarship H.3144 (SUPPORT): Passed out of the House Ways and Means Committee last week and will head to the House floor.
• Competency-Based Education H.3883 (SUPPORT): Passed out of the House Education and Public Works Committee last week and will head to the House floor.
• Teacher Certification Requirements H.3465 (SUPPORT): Passed out of the House Education and Public Works Committee last week and head to the House floor.
• Non-Certified Teachers Filling Vacant Teaching Positions H.3590 (SUPPORT): Passed out of the House Education and Public Works Committee last week and will head to the House floor.
• Schools of Innovation H.3589 (SUPPORT): The Senate previously recalled H.3589 from the Senate Education Committee and amended the bill with its version (S.208). Last week, the House
amended the Senate amendment – so it now heads back to the Senate for concurrence.
• State and Local Tax (SALT) Parity Reform S.627 (SUPPORT): Passed Senate Finance Committee last Tuesday – the bill is now headed for the Senate Floor.
• Tax Conformity H.4017 (SUPPORT): Passed a House Ways and Means Sales & Use and Income Tax Subcommittee.
• Petroleum Pipeline Moratorium Extension H.3524 (MONITOR): Passed out of the House Labor, Commerce, and Industry Committee and head to the House floor.
The House has begun taking up the FY 2021-22 Budget this past Monday and will focus on that issue exclusively all week.