Founded in 1984, Leadership Anderson is a 10-month leadership development program devoted to strengthening and dedicating our community leaders. Over 800 local leaders have graduated from the program and continue their commitment to the growth, development and prosperity to Anderson County.
GOALS OF LEADERSHIP ANDERSON
The goals of the Leadership Anderson program are:
- To develop awareness of community issues by examining the major systems/sectors of our community.
- To challenge participants to respond to the social and economic needs of our community.
- To develop an esprit de corps among participants which will provide common ground for working together on present and future community needs.
- To enhance leadership skills and qualities in participants which lead to creative and insightful community solutions.
- To ensure broad community future leadership by recruiting emerging leaders with diverse social, economic and professional backgrounds.
Leadership Anderson is a 10-month program which begins with a mandatory two-day opening retreat. During the retreat, each participant’s leadership style is identified along with an evaluation of leadership strengths and weaknesses. In addition, class members take part in team building activities and problem solving strategies within a society. Ten full-day sessions are held each subsequent month after the opening retreat. The agendas for the follow-up sessions are developed and facilitated by the Board of Regents, a committee of leadership graduate volunteers. Follow-up sessions include:
- Area Economy
- Arts and Culture
- Civil and Criminal Justice
- Community Inclusion and Health
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Human Services and Project Development
- Local Government
- State Government
Follow-up sessions include a combination of guest speakers, tours of facilities and hands-on activities. Class members are allowed only three absences from the follow-up sessions during the program year in order to be eligible for graduation. A graduation ceremony follows the final session.
The 2018-2019 Class will begin August 2018 and end May 2019.
Applications are due by June 29th.
Download Application Here
Tuition for the Leadership Anderson program is $1,270 which includes all costs associated with the opening retreat, follow-up sessions, meals, transportation and graduation.
One scholarship is available for each Leadership Anderson class. This is a partial scholarship and funds one-half of the program tuition. There are no full scholarships available. Applications for scholarship assistance are considered separately and will not effect class selection. Scholarship information is included on the Leadership Anderson application.
BOARD OF REGENTS
The Board of Regents governs the leadership development programs offered by the Anderson Area Chamber of Commerce. These Leadership Anderson and Discover Anderson graduates serve as volunteers and meet monthly to advise and guide the leadership programs. The Board of Regents develops the curriculum for the classes and they facilitate the follow-up sessions.